For my birthday my mom gifted me with a subscription to e-meals. I use the e-meals app and get 7 simple, healthy, and delicious recipes every week including a shopping list (my favorite feature!). This app makes cooking so easy! I only cook 2-3 times a week (if that) because I usually work late a couple nights a week, we like to go out a few times, and we eat leftovers a time or two! E-meals has numerous “meal plan” options to choose from including paleo, slow-cooker, mediterranean, quick and healthy (my plan), and many more! I usually pick the 3 (of the 7 weekly recipes they give you) that sound the most delicious to my and Doug’s tastes. We have yet to have tried something we didn’t like!
Now that you have that introduction, I am going to give you a recipe that was inspired by en e-meals recipe. I am notorious for not following the instructions completely…what can I say, I like to live on the edge. So in typical Rachel fashion, I took the bones of this recipe and put my own spin on it. And it turned out AMAZING- so delicious, so easy, took 30 minutes to make everything, and husband approved. I don’t know about y’all but by the time I make it home from work, I am starving and pretty worn out so any meal that I can make in 30 minutes with ease that tastes good is an A+.
Easy and Healthy Ground Beef Taco Bowls
serves 2 (+leftovers for 2)
1.5 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
chopped yellow onion
3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I make my own but could use any!)
1 jar Trader Joe’s corn and chile salsa (this is my own spin and VITAL!!)
2 bags microwavable Uncle Ben’s Quinoa and Brown Rice
two heads chopped romaine lettuce
1 ripe avocado
1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Yogurt dressing (love this brand)
**One of the hardest things for me with cooking is the shopping part. It always seems to take me forever to find the right brand of whatever the pinterest recipe I found calls for, so here are some pictures of the brands of the items I used in this recipe! Hope it helps. Dressing is from Target, salsa is Trader Joe’s, and rice is from Food Lion.
- Saute the chopped onion with a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- After about two minutes, add in the ground beef, mix around and then pour in taco seasoning. Stir it all up and let the meat brown.
- Once the meat is brown and cooked, turn down the heat to medium and add in the whole jar of the corn salsa (yes, the whole jar!). Mix it around for a few minutes. Take off the burner.
- Microwave the rice.
- Layer all the ingredients in a nice big bowl. I always start with the rice on the bottom, then the lettuce, then the cold toppings in all of the corners, and then I add in the meat last!
- Drizzle the cilantro avocado dressing over the bowl. You could add in some other type of salsa if you want some extra flavor, but I think it’s flavorful enough with just this!
- Open a can of sparkling water, pull out a fork and enjoy! 🙂
There are so many variations of this meal you could make and it would never get boring! I might make this a weekly thing, who knows…maybe that’s a little much, I will start with monthly! Ha!
What’s one of your favorite quick go-to meals?